– R&D+I Grapevines –
NEW CLONES OF THE “TEMPRANILLO” VARIETY
Aims: To improve the oenological quality of the Tempranillo variety.
Sources: Hundred-year old vines from the D.O. Ca. Rioja.
Research period: 1999-2010.
Period of development and evaluation of commercial potential: 2010-2017.
- Ampelography: Over 24 plots of vines over 80 years’ old were studied in order to find the widest variability of Tempranillo, 530 of which had been pre-selected, to search for the following characteristics with regard to a standard Tempranillo:
– Smaller cluster size
– Not very compact cluster
– Smaller fruit size
– Skin with greater resistance to rotting
- Health: All the pre-selected vines were checked for virus and diseases and 28 clones were found to be problem-free.
- Oenology: Oenological analysis of grapes, musts and wines from the 28 pre-selected clones, with 9 clones finally selected.
Comparison of clones by plot
- Official Certification: The clones were sent for official testing, and 9 certified clones were obtained with the designation VP (Viveros Provedo): VP-1, VP-2, VP-8, VP-13, VP-20, VP-21,VP-25, VP-27, VP-28.
- 9 Tempranillo clones have been selected which offer a smaller fruit size than the rest of the clones and controls, with a significantly greater phenolic quality potential (Anthocyanins and Polyphenols) and higher yields than the controls in 7 of them and with less compactness in another 7 clones.
- Furthermore, as well as other factors such as: climate, soil, rootstock, etc we concluded that the number of pips per berry depended on a genetic factor which varied from clone to clone, and which has a direct correlation and in the majority of the clones, with the berry size, and an inverse correlation with the compactness of the clusters and the quality parameters of the anthocyanins and polyphenols in the grapes.
DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF COMMERCIAL POTENTIAL (INNOVINE PROJECT):
Pre-commercial plantations were made in different parts of the D.O. Rioja,
Rioja Alta, Media and Baja, in order to evaluate which clones best adapt to each sub zone.
Comparative clone vineyard plot – San Vicente de la Sonsierra (Rioja)
INNOVINE PROJECT (2014-2016):
- Aim: selection of Tempranillo clones adapted to climate change and drought:
Over 3 years we studied 9 clones of Tempranillo VP and compared them with control clones in various Rioja zones with the aim of selecting those which best adapt to climate change: high temperatures and less rainfall.
LEFT: Tempranillo VP-8
RIGHT: Tempranillo control clone
- Conclusions: clones vp-25 , vp-8 and vp-28 show greater resistance to drought and high temperatures and consequently we recommend their use in new plantations.